Satellite navigation guru Garmin has today announced its first step in the action camera market.
The VIRB can record more than three hours of 1080p HD (‘true HD’) on one charg. It features a 1.4-inch Chroma colour display andon-board enhancement features like image stabilisation and lens distortion correction. High quality stills can be captured during filming.
The VIRB Elite incorporates all those features, but in addition has built-in WiFi, data sensors and a high-sensitivity GPS. Both VIRB and VIRB Elite feature ANT+ connectivity for remote control with other compatible Garmin products, and VIRB Elite will support data transfer with other fitness sensors in addition.
VIRB and VIRB Elite will be widely available for purchase October 2013. The RRP for VIRB will be £269.99, and the RRP for VIRB Elite will be £349.99.
“Action cameras are growing rapidly in popularity, and VIRB has some game-changing key features—like a colour viewfinder display, extended battery life, optional GPS and compatibility with existing Garmin products—that set it apart from other cameras on the market,” said Martin Resch, product manager outdoor EMEA.
“Our customers already embrace an active lifestyle, whether they’re hikers, mountain bikers, skiers, boaters, or pilots, so a Garmin action camera is a compelling option to them. With GPS and enhanced wireless capabilities in VIRB Elite, users can capture not only what they were doing, but also where they were and how they did it—and then share it with their friends and family.”
- VIRB has a sleek, aerodynamic design and recording is simple via a slider switch.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery can record more than three hours of HD (1080p) video with one charge, and can be easily changed on the go.
- Features WideVü lens and high-res Chroma display to makes it easy to change menu settings, set-up and playback shots
- Display uses reflective technology so it doesn’t drain the battery. The 1.4-inch screen uses ambient light (instead of a battery-draining backlight) to illuminate the screen and make it easy to see in bright sunlight.
- VIRB has an IPX-7 waterproof rating and can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An optional dive case is available for deep-sea adventures, as well as a wide variety of other rugged mounts to secure VIRB to handlebars, helmets, surfboards and more.
- An industry standard mounting adapter, making it easy for existing action camera users to get started with VIRB.
- The digital image stabilization technology corrects camera shakiness for smoother footage
- Lens distortion correction feature gives users the option to automatically remove the fish-eye look that is common with action cameras.
- VIRB can take 16 megapixel stills with photo burst and time lapse options, including taking stills while recording video.
- VIRB also has a micro HDMI output for convenient video playback and a microSD slot that can hold up to 64GB card (64GB microSD card can hold over seven hours of 1080p video).
VIRB Elite incorporates all these features, as well as:
- High-sensitivity GP, accelerometer, altimeter and WiFi. WiFi capabilities allow users to connect to the free mobile applications for iPhone and Android.
- VIRB Elite comes equipped with specific activity profiles so users can track location, speed, elevation, heart rate (monitor sold separately) and more while recording. This data can be reviewed right on the device, or can be embedded into their video during the editing process to take the VIRB experience to the next level.
To complement VIRB Elite, Garmin is launching a free mobile application for preview, playback and remote functionality on your smartphone, along with a free desktop software application to edit and upload VIRB and VIRB Elite videos. With this software, users can easily edit their footage and embed sensor data in the video, then share with family and friends or upload to social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.