Website The Bicycle Academy
In a nutshell:
An award-winning business is looking for a Teacher to meet the growing demand for its training courses.
Frame Building Teacher
Position reports to:
Head of Education
Unit 7 Longacre, Marston Trading Estate, Frome, Somerset, BA11 4BG
Before March 2022
We’ve developed a unique and widely celebrated method of decoding and teaching the previously tacit knowledge of bicycle making. We want to make it easier for people to get involved in and progress at frame building. To help them to do so based upon knowledge and understanding, and to ensure that they get to a position where they can engage in meaningful practice. Not directed doing, painting by numbers or simply learning by rote. Tacit skill refinement based upon explicit understanding. The very best way to learn; hand and head, working together.
- Teach frame building and skills masterclass courses
- Manage course timing and ensure all course curriculum objectives are met
- Create a professional and friendly rapport with students
- Leading classes by teaching theory, demonstrating tasks, assigning tasks and encouraging discussions
- Encouraging student participation and performance
- Supervising students while they complete tasks independently
- Answering student questions
- Assessing students’ achievements to provide each student with post course advice and exercises to practice their skills after the completion of the course
- Work with the team to develop new courses and products
- Assist with various administrative tasks as necessary such as handling phone/email enquiries, ordering supplies, updating course documentation, processing bookings
- Comply with all Health & Safety requirements including daily Oxy-Fuel safety checks, training provided by TBA
- Help keep the workshop stocked, organised, tidy and clean
To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required, and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job. To conduct yourself in a manner that always keeps up the appearances of The Bicycle Academy Limited.
Contract, salary & benefits:
Full-time permanent position, Monday to Friday, competitive annual salary starting at £22,000 – £30,000 pa pro-rata according to experience, pension, 28 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays. Benefits include the possibility of working from home on non teaching days, a training budget, access to frame building equipment and facilities for personal use, cost prices from all bike industry suppliers, 1 hour lunch, onsite bike workshop facilities, and shower and changing facilities.
Key skills & abilities:
The ideal candidate will be passionate and knowledgeable about bicycle frame building. You will be able, and enthusiastic, to teach those skills by adapting the teaching style to the needs of each and every student. You will be personable, an excellent verbal communicator, calm under pressure and enjoy working within a team as well as independently.
- Experience of teaching, training or coaching
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrable practical problem solving ability
- Confident, friendly and enjoy working both one-to-one with students and as part of a team
- The desire to get involved in and understand the business, provide support and make improvements wherever possible
- Good time management of self and students is essential
- Experience of working in an engineering workshop with metals (specifically, but not limited to, steel) is essential as you will be required to demonstrate good bench fitting skills
- Practical experience of steel bicycle framebuilding is desirable but not essential*
- Appreciation of contemporary trends, component specification and assembly standards in relation to road and off-road bicycles
- A passion for cycling and understanding or experience of the wider cycling community
- Competent at Brazing and TIG welding thin wall steel tubing
- Effectively and safely operate a variety of machine tools (manual lathe, mill, pillar drill etc) and other equipment used in a mechanical engineering workshop
- Competent BikeCAD user
- Current First Aid at Work qualification desirable but not essential
We are looking for someone who is motivated, curious and excited about helping people to learn, and supporting them on their journey. *We have successfully trained many trainers, and so while it may seem counterintuitive, you don’t have to be an existing bicycle frame builder to be a great teacher within our team. We can provide the right candidate with the necessary training to be a fully fledged frame building teacher.
This Job Description sets out the main duties of the post at the date when it was drawn up. These duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed.
About the company:
The Bicycle Academy Limited has been in business for 10 years. Specialists in teaching, the company attracts students from all over the world to learn at the UK-based training school. In addition to training courses, The Bicycle Academy provides design and manufacturing consultancy services, and produces its own range of specialist frame building tools, sold globally. Situated in newly-refurbished premises within walking distance of Frome town centre, The Bicycle Academy provides a well-equipped, dynamic and vibrant working environment.
Salary: £22,000 – £30,000
Please email a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 20th December 2021
To apply for this job please visit thebicycleacademy.org .