Title: Freelance Mechanic and Group Leader
Job Location: Brixton
Salary: £12.50 p/h
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us about yourself, and why you would be a good fit for this role.
upCYCLE is one of London’s fastest growing and exciting social enterprises. We fix up second hand bikes and donate them to charities that aim to empower young people from ethnic minority groups or we use them to deliver bike repair workshops in and around Brixton. The workshops range from one off sessions to 4-week courses (once a week) and involve up to 6 young people (aged between 11-16 years old) who learn how to do basic bike repairs such as changing tyres and brake pads.
Having recently received funding from TfL and Lambeth Council, we’re looking for an experienced bike mechanic who would like to get involved with running our bike repair workshops and helping around the workshop on a freelance basis. You’ll also be helping teach our volunteers how to repair and maintain bikes that have been donated to us and getting them ready to give away to our young people at the end of the workshops.
You may want to give something back to the community, make a difference to the people around you, find a rewarding opportunity that helps you develop new skills or build on existing experience. Whatever your reasons, we can support you to do this and at the same time you can empower, enable and inspire others to cycle and help to create an inclusive cycling community.
What to expect:
- Delivering bike repair workshops for young people, ensuring everybody is safe (DBS Check Required)
- Diagnosing and repairing second hand bikes that come to us in a range of conditions, from a standard service to a full rebuild
- Training, developing and motivating young people and volunteers
- Helping with stock control of the workshop spares and consumables
- Keeping the fleet management system up-to-date
What we ask for in return:
- You are reliable and punctual
- You’re comfortable teaching others (experience working with young people is a massive bonus)
- You have great problem solving skills, knowledge of repairs and above all a passion for cycling that you can pass on to others
- You can commit to working at a minimum of 2 bike repair workshops a month (usually on Saturday morning), this will help us build a connection with young people and give them a sense of familiarity.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.