Website Brompton Bicycle Ltd
Job title Key Account Manager – UK
Responsible to UK Sales Manager – Jolyon Baker
Salary £40k-£45k depending on experience
Benefits Performance related bonus – up to 15% of gross salary
Hours 40 hours per week
Holidays 20 days per annum, plus statutory holidays
About the Company:
Brompton is a highly respected British manufacturer of bespoke folding bikes, each bike being hand made in the London factory. For many owners of our bikes, Brompton is part of their lifestyle and an expression of who they are. We enjoy riding our bikes too and we’re proud of their success around the world.
As a brand, our vision is to transform how people live and get around in cities. Our bike was conceived as a product which would increase people’s sense of independence and freedom, and this concept is still at the heart of everything we do. The Brompton is widely acknowledged as the finest bike of its type: cleverly designed, and beautifully made to be versatile, easy to use and durable. This excellence, combined with the resurgence in cycling for transport and leisure, means we are enjoying strong company growth. If we are to continue to grow we need to recruit great people who can further drive sales.
Brompton Bicycle is privately-owned, successful and profitable, and we have good relationships with our distributors, dealers and owners. We export 80% of our production to 45 countries around the globe, and we intend to produce over 55,000 bikes this year. But we believe we’re just getting started.
If you’re excited by the opportunity to sell market-leading products that make a difference to people’s lives, and thrive on responsibility, we can offer you a job you will not find anywhere else.
Employed by Brompton Bicycle Limited, this is a Key Account Manager role in our largest market – the UK and Ireland; where to date, Brompton has achieved great success; yet the potential for growth is still substantial. This is a critical, exciting and varied commercial role, developing and selling to our two top tier accounts, where you will proactively ensure successful rollout and sales results of Click and Collect, Brompton Electric, and further existing pipeline innovation.
The Key Account Manager role is a vital addition to the Brompton UK Sales team, reporting directly to the UK Sales Manager. The role carries a high degree of autonomy, focusing on delivering significant growth for these key national chain stores Your principal remit will be to grow bike and P&A sales from your accounts including NPI, planning how to deliver against targets and ensuring KPIs are met (currently delivering circa £7m revenue). You shall be continuously commercially minded, whilst showing your experience and confidence, working closely with senior management of our trade customers as well as internally.
Beyond the traditional supplier/customer trade relationships, you will explore and create new business opportunities and develop new sales channels. As such, you will be instrumental in shaping and delivering Brompton’s omnichannel strategy in the market. Consequently, knowledge and experience in these areas is highly desirable.
You will enjoy travelling, with up to 60% of your time being spent out on the road, developing and supporting your customers, and the remaining time in our West London office. You will take full responsibility for Brompton key accounts and work in a small energetic team with direct internal sales support to achieve your personal and team ambition.
You’ll be at the front line, representing Brompton in the increasingly changing retail landscape and marketplace. You will pro-actively manage change within your accounts, keeping Brompton front and centre of their offerings.
This is a role for someone who is looking to progress their sales career; a role they are already sure-footed in, and who is excited by the potential of a long-term commitment to this fast-growing British success story.
You will be a commercially minded, results focussed, experienced B2B sales person. At least 5 years’ solid B2B retail sales and business development experience, with at least 5 years’ Key Account management experience or similar – ideally within the bike industry. (Other/ similar premium lifestyle brands/ products may be considered). You will understand the market, strategic competition, suppliers and retailers within, and the wider positioning Brompton enjoys. You have the talent to confront the rapidly changing marketplace and identify correct routes to sustainable long-term success.
You’ll be numerate, perceptive in analysis of sales data, and able to use these to build persuasive arguments to achieve your goals. You’ll be part of a small team who enjoy robust commercial thinking and are dedicated to fulfilling Brompton’s potential. Additionally, you will be self-assured, personable, resourceful and entrepreneurial.
Due to the varied workload, and the travel, which is a significant component of it, you’ll be a team player who is self-motivated, efficient and effective when working remotely. You must be flexible, highly organised and dependable, both in your own contact with customers and in your reporting back to the office.
- Delivering on budgeted sales targets for all Brompton products across your accounts
- Build relationships with key senior contacts and customers, to gain clear understanding of their businesses, requirements and objectives, to ensure sales metrics are met, expectations exceeded, and opportunities exploited
- Introduce new product lines, inclusive of Brompton Electric
- Identifying and developing new routes to market including Click & Collect, and B2C
- Identifying and resolving customer concerns
- Creating suitable strategies for dealing with obstacles, customer objections and competitor situations
- To deliver a programme of product sales training and support including Brompton Academy and in person
- To co-ordinate, deliver and monitor the Brompton Dealer Accreditation programme
- To identify opportunities that require additional support and resource
- To represent the company at trade exhibitions, events, demonstrations and seminars
- Set up and organise events with retailers & businesses
- Increase sales and profits for all Brompton products sold
- To build annual business plans for each key account, reviewing monthly and reporting to Brompton Senior Heads
- Forecasting, planning and delivering on sales targets
- Develop a 12-month rolling sales forecast/pipeline plan for your retail customers in accordance with sales objectives
- Monitoring and reporting your performance through monthly KPIs against budget and annual business/ marketing plan
- Performing statistical analysis and assess actuals vs forecasting
- Raising risks and opportunities with your account base and developing related solutions
- Supporting the Marketing department, helping shape and execute marketing strategy, activities and priorities
- Management of day-to-day sales
- Represent the requirements of the customer to internal organisation
- Feeding information on future buying trends to colleagues in Marketing, Design and Purchasing
- Gathering market, competitor and customer data whilst executing product and marketing strategy
- To communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments
- Ambitious and results focussed
- Strong sales, commercial, and customer service skills
- Provable track record in comparable Sales/Key Account Management role, at least 5 years’ experience
- Experience in creating and implementing strategic key account plans
- Market aware and commercially focussed
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Consultative sales approach
- Strong numeracy skills
- Highly organised
- The role will require significant travel, so a current, valid driving licence is essential
- A natural communicator with the ability to persuade and influence others
- Competence in the development and delivery of presentations
- Knowledge of rapidly changing consumer behaviour
- Attention to detail and a willingness to dig down into details while retaining a sense of the broader picture are essential
Influence (High I)
- The possession of leadership and motivational skills will be vital to success in this function.
- Those candidates or incumbents who are able to establish and cultivate meaningful inter-personal relationships will be at a distinct advantage.
- The creation of a positive and friendly workplace will often be expected of the job holder.
- The job will best be filled by those who are able to participate naturally and willingly with others.
- Influencing and motivational skills are critical requirements for incumbents.
Dominance (High D)
- A degree of strategic expertise and commercial vision could form part of this function.
- The job will, when necessary, call for the handling of objections with confidence.
- Problem solving capabilities will often be demanded of the person occupying this position.
- Reasonable experience and skills in dealing with opposition, and more assertive people, will be an advantage for this candidate.
- Achievement of objectives will in most circumstances be important.
Compliance (High C)
- A thorough, disciplined and detailed style may be necessary for those people seeking to occupy this position.
- The logical and detailed analysis of data and processes may often be a component of this job.
- This position will accommodate those people who are naturally conservative and conventional
- Being perfectionistic and complying with clearly defined rules and policies will enable the incumbent to operate comfortably within this role.
- A cautious and detailed approach towards task completion could be a requirement for satisfactory performance.
Steadiness (Low S)
- A serene, relaxed and easy-going activity level will seldom be tolerated in this role.
- Patience, leniency and stability are values that may have to be sacrificed in order to succeed in this position.
- The ability to demonstrate flexibility in approach and an anxiety to complete assignments on time are important factors for success.
- A style that is energetic and restless is likely to be compatible with the more dynamic and fast paced demands of this job.
- Above average mobility, being self-critical and flexible are some of the values that will be sought after.
The Brompton Environment
Brompton offers you a very pleasant working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company despite any differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and encourages personal growth.
How to Apply: If you feel you fit within the Brompton team spirit and you can bring talent, innovation and enthusiasm to our workforce then please email your CV and covering letter before 29th February 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be accepted without a covering letter.
The company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the company’s business.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalise peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.