35 hours per week at London Living Wage £10.55/h £19,201 per annum
Cycle Confident freelance mechanics worked on over 12,000 bikes at over 650 sessions in 2018. Our work continues to grow and it is time to bring someone new on board to help us.
We are looking for a mechanic to assist with the delivery of our bicycle mechanics services. We have a fleet of bikes used for school & adult cycle training; Bosch and Shimano Ebikes maintained for loan schemes and cargo bike maintenance. We have a fully equipped City and Guilds approved workshop facility, based at Oval, where we service and build. We also train people to maintain their own bikes with the workshop being used most weekends for short courses.
The job will offer variety, there are patterns of work but it is not monotonous. Work will be varied working out across London, in our training workshop and sometimes at the office base. Supporting public facing Dr Bike sessions, working at the roadside with freelance mechanics, this role gives a good chance to rapidly increase experience.
Our ideal mechanic will be friendly and able to talk about what they are fixing and why. They will be able to take on a task and be able to problem solve. They will be able to recognize when they are out of their depth and be able to ask for help when they need it. We want you to be part of a wider team who make Cycle Confident a high quality, hardworking outfit.
- Bicycle Fleet servicing: Cycle Confident operate a fleet of bikes that are transported from site to site, our mechanics help keep our fleet rolling servicing at various locations.
- Dr Bike support: Our mechanic will get involved in these staffing them, riding the cargo bike to the sessions and supporting Lead mechanics to deliver great quality Dr Bike services for our boroughs.
- Preparation of the Cycle Confident Training Centre for weekend and midweek mechanics courses: Making sure course resources are available so the courses run smoothly.
- Stock control: Together with the Head Mechanic, keep track of what spares and resources we use to keep the fleet on the road
- Bike Building: We also buy bikes to add to the fleet or to support school courses in our boroughs, these new bikes need building and PDI as in any workshop.
- We want to see a minimum of C&G level 2, Cytech level 2 in a workshop setting voluntary or paid. We don’t expect you to have masses of experience, being reliable is as important. However as the role will involve some independent working so you need to be able to demonstrate the ability to work to a standard.
- Working face to face with the public we are looking for someone that is happy to talk while they work.
- The ability to use email, manage a calendar and keep track of what work has been carried out are essential.
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible and collaborative attitude to working.
- Ability to work on weekends, early mornings and late evenings, will be required as our Dr Bike sessions can run through til 8pm during the summer months.
- Full UK Driving license is essential.
If this role is genuinely of interest, please provide your CV plus a cover message that includes the following to email@example.com:
- Up to 100 words on your thoughts on cycling in London
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.