Job title Key Account Manager – UK
Responsible to UK Sales Manager
Salary £35-40k, depending on experience
Hours 40 per week
About the Company
Our mission is to transform the way people live in cities. With over 16 million possible combinations of gears, colours, handlebars and accessories, we make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975, but our product has travelled far - we now export 80% of our bicycles to 44 countries. In the past 36 months we have invested in a new purpose-built production facility, transformed our digital architecture, opened new flagship stores and had our biggest product launch in company history and we’re not stopping there…
To change urban living, we need passionate, innovative and talented people that want to challenge the status quo and make an impact.
Employed by Brompton Bicycle Limited, this is a Key Account Manager role in our largest market - the UK and Ireland; where to date, Brompton has achieved great success; yet the potential for growth is still substantial. This is a critical, exciting and varied commercial role, developing and selling to our top tier accounts, where you will proactively ensure successful rollout and sales results of Brompton Electric, and further existing pipeline innovation.
The Key Account Manager role is a vital addition to the Brompton UK Sales team, reporting directly to the UK Sales Manager. The role carries a high degree of autonomy, focusing on delivering significant growth for Brompton’s key accounts, including national chain stores and the Independent Bicycle Dealer (IBD) retail network (trading with some of these for over 20 years). Your principal remit will be to grow bike and P&A sales across your network including NPI, planning how to deliver against targets and ensuring KPIs are met (currently delivering circa £8m revenue). You shall be continuously commercially minded, whilst showing your experience and confidence, working closely with senior management of our trade customers as well as internally.
Beyond the traditional supplier/customer trade relationships, you will explore and create new business opportunities and develop new sales channels. As such, you will be instrumental in shaping and delivering Brompton’s omnichannel strategy in the market. Consequently, knowledge and experience in these areas is highly desirable.
You will enjoy travelling, with up to 60% of your time being spent out on the road, developing and supporting your customers, and the remaining time in our West London office. You will take full responsibility for Brompton key accounts and work in a small energetic team with direct internal sales support to achieve your personal and team ambition.
You’ll be at the front line, representing Brompton in the increasingly changing retail landscape and marketplace. You will pro-actively manage change within your accounts, keeping Brompton front and centre of their offerings.
This is a role for someone who is looking to progress their sales career; a role they are already surefooted in, and who is excited by the potential of a long-term commitment to this fast-growing British success story.
You will be a commercially-minded, results focussed, experienced B2B sales person. At least 5 years’ solid B2B retail sales and business development experience, with at least 2 years’ Key Account management experience or similar - ideally within the bike industry. (Other/ similar premium lifestyle brands/ products may be considered). You will understand the market, strategic competition, suppliers and retailers within, and the wider positioning Brompton enjoys. You have the talent to confront the rapidly changing marketplace and identify correct routes to sustainable long-term success.
You’ll be numerate, perceptive in analysis of sales data, and able use these to build persuasive arguments to achieve your goals. You’ll be part of a small team who enjoy robust commercial thinking and are dedicated to fulfilling Brompton’s potential. Additionally, you will be self-assured, personable, resourceful and entrepreneurial.
Due to the varied workload, and the travel which is a significant component of it, you’ll be a team player who is self-motivated, efficient and effective when working remotely. You must be flexible, highly organised and dependable, both in your own contact with customers and in your reporting back to the office.
· Delivering on budgeted sales targets for all Brompton products across your retail network
· Build relationships with key senior contacts and customers, to gain clear understanding of their businesses, requirements and objectives, to ensure sales metrics are met, expectations exceeded and opportunities exploited
· Introduce new product lines, inclusive of Brompton Electric
· Identifying and developing new routes to market including Click & Collect, and B2C
· Identifying and resolving customer concerns
· Creating suitable strategies for dealing with obstacles, customer objections and competitor situations
· To deliver a programme of product sales training and support
· To co-ordinate, deliver and monitor the Brompton Dealer Accreditation programme
· To identify opportunities that require additional support and resource
· To represent the company at trade exhibitions, events, demonstrations and seminars
· Set up and organise events with retailers & businesses
· Increase sales and profits for all Brompton products sold
· To build annual business plans for each key accounts, reviewing monthly and reporting to Brompton Senior Heads
· Forecasting, planning and delivering on sales targets
· Develop a 12 month rolling sales forecast/pipeline plan for your retail customers in accordance with sales objectives
· Monitoring and reporting your performance through monthly KPIs against budget and annual business/ marketing plan
· Performing statistical analysis and assess actuals vs forecasting
· Raising risks and opportunities with your account base and developing related solutions
· Supporting the Marketing department, helping shape and execute marketing strategy, activities and priorities
· Management of day-to-day sales
· Represent the requirements of the customer to internal organisation
· Feeding information on future buying trends to colleagues in Marketing, Design and Purchasing
· Gathering market, competitor and customer data whilst executing product and marketing strategy
· To communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments
· Ambitious and results focussed
· Strong sales, commercial, and customer service skills
· Provable track record in comparable Sales/Key Account Management role, at least 5 years’ experience
· Market aware and commercially focussed
· Fluent written and spoken English
· Consultative sales approach
· Strong numeracy skills
· Highly organised
· The role will require significant travel to current, a valid driving licence is essential
· A natural communicator with the ability to persuade and influence others
· Competence in the development and delivery of presentations
· Knowledge of rapidly changing consumer behaviour
· Attention to detail and a willingness to dig down into details while retaining a sense of the broader picture are essential
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along Job description 4 of 4 very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
· Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
· Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
· 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, increasing the longer you stay with us
· Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few…
· Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching
If you feel that you fit within the Brompton team spirit and you can bring talent, innovation and enthusiasm to our workforce then please email your CV and covering letter to the People team, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications without a covering letter will not be acccepted.
Applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Application deadline is Thursday the 25th of October 2018
The Company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the Company’s business.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an allinclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.