London Cycling Campaign and Transport for London are targeting new cycle commuters with a Cycle Friday initiative, starting next week.
Covering eight rides every week from August 14th, Cycle Fridays will follow six routes across the capital with experienced marshals from the LCC leading each route. Hundreds of new cyclists are expected to take part in the rides, which is aiming to boost novice cycle commuters.
The first week of the initiative will cover routes from the suburbs into central London, including:
1. Brixton to Russell Square: Starts Outside KFC (on the corner of Brixton Road and Coldharbour Lane)
2. Finsbury Park to St Pauls: Starts Finsbury Park Gate, Finsbury Park
3. Mile End to St Pauls: Starts Under the Green Bridge, Mile End Road
4. Ravenscourt to Trafalgar Square: Starts Outside Ravenscourt Tube, Ravenscourt Place
5. Swiss Cottage to Holborn: Starts Outside the theatre by Swiss Cottage tube
6. Greenwich to St Pauls: Starts Cutty Sark Gardens, King William Walk
"This is a real opportunity to get more novice cyclists on their bikes,” explained LCC marketing manager Lucy Cooper. “We’re really pleased to be working with TfL on the BikeTubes, an idea that originated within LCC."