A new trade body has formed to represent the triathlon business in the UK – the Triathlon Industry Association.
Ahead of an anticipated bumper year for the sport, the TIA will act as a representative of the business’s distributors, manufacturers and retailers. The body is to be fronted by TCR show director David Townsend, Paul Shanley of Tri247.com and Gary Roethenbaugh of triathlonbusiness.com.
According to the new body, aside from putting forward the industry’s views to the media and domestic and European Governments, objectives will include:
- To be a research and statistical centre, to aggregate and publish statistics, and to provide analysis on triathlon and other relevant market information
- To provide networking and business development opportunities for all members via an annual Trade Event and through an online community of industry events and initiatives
- To provide a forum for the exchange of non-competitive information
- To secure discounts for its members with a diverse range of business service providers, such as hotels, insurance, car hire, etc
- To establish a technical centre providing commentary, guidance and advice on legal and other regulatory developments of relevance to the triathlon industry
- To promote the triathlon industry
A first meeting, in what may eventually grow to be a busy schedule for the association, will be held at Sandown Park on Friday 24 February 2012. The TCR show uses the same venue a short while after, kicking off March 2nd.
Founding members of the TIA include Aqua Sphere, Chain Reaction Cycles, Clif Bar, Dean Jackson, Orca, Speedo, TCR Shows, TFN, Tri247.com, triathlonbusiness.com, Xtra Mile Events and ZipVit. Sign up for your triathlon business costs £350 and information is available at the trade body’s website.